News 2011-06-21: Puppet 2.7.0 contains an official pkgutil provider! Thanks to all who contributed!
To get a pkgutil packet provider included into the official source for Puppet.
- Proposed name is "csw". It's a neutral name that makes sense for use with both OpenCSW and Blastwave
- Make use of the --single option to gain speed (introduced in pkgutil v1.9)
These are providers already done by hacking existing ones.
- http://garylaw.net/packages/pkgutil.rb (Gary Law)
- http://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/puppet/trunk/files/0001-pkgutil-support.patch (Maciej Blizinski)
- http://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/puppet/trunk/files/0002-Using-the-single-option-of-pkgutil.patch (Maciej Blizinski)
- http://github.com/automatthias/puppet/ (Maciej Blizinski)
There's now an official ticket to implement this: http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/4258
Note that the Puppet package from OpenCSW already contains a pkgutil provider.
Here's an article about using pkgutil with Puppet: http://www.andybotting.com/wordpress/using-pkgutil-on-solaris-with-puppet-for-easy-package-management